NewsFormer FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called the decision to hold the...

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has called the decision to hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar “a mistake.”

Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s president in 2010 when Qatar was awarded the 2022 World Cup, called the decision a “mistake” and “wrong.”

The 86-year-old says FIFA changed how it chose host countries in 2012 due of construction circumstances in Qatar.

Since then, societal concerns and human rights have been considered.

In recent years, holding the event in the small Gulf state has drawn opposition. Corruption charges, criticism of the state’s human rights record (particularly how it treats foreign labor), and the state’s authoritarian social law approach are to blame.

Blatter is FIFA’s 17-year president. During that period, he was accused of wrongdoing. June judged him not guilty of fraud. The prosecution wants a review.

The FIFA Museum in Zurich was protested on Tuesday. LGBT+ rights were protested. Before the World Cup, protesters demonstrated.

The protest’s organizers, All Out, wanted to show FIFA and Qatar that the world is watching and demanding action.

All Out wants FIFA to encourage Qatar to stop criminalizing same-sex relationships. All Out believes FIFA hasn’t publicly pledged to protect LGBT+ football fans, gay players, and the LGBT+ community in Qatar. All Out wants FIFA to pressure Qatar to allow same-gender couples and safeguard LGBT+ persons.

FIFA is convinced LGBTIQ+ fans and supporters will enjoy the competition in a secure and friendly environment, a spokesperson told Reuters. FIFA is certain that LGBTIQ+ fans and supporters will have a safe and welcome competition.

“As the host country, Qatar is fully committed to ensuring that everyone, including LGBTIQ+ community members, can enjoy the tournament in a safe and friendly atmosphere,” a FIFA spokeswoman stated.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More article