Arguably, many consider Real Madrid to be the best club in the world. FIFA also has declared the Spanish club the best club of the century. In addition to 34 La Liga, they have won a record 13 titles in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest competition in European football. Real Madrid stands at the top by winning 4 trophies in the FIFA Club World Cup. The club was finally founded on March 7, 1902. This report contains 10 unknown facts about Real Madrid on its 119th birthday.
1. Real Madrid started its journey as a football club named Madrid. 1920 It is renamed Real Madrid by the 13th King Alfonso. Real in Spanish means Royal.
2. Real Madrid has never been relegated to the second division since its inception. Spanish clubs including Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao have the same records.
3. There is another club in the world by this name besides Spanish Real Madrid. The club is in South Africa. It is named after Real Madrid of Spain, formerly known as the Epogang Stars. Its nickname is again Valentine’s Boy.
4. Los Blancos is used as a nickname for Real Madrid. But the meaning may be unknown to many. Los Blancos in Spanish means ‘white’. Los Vikings, La Casa Blanca, and Los Merengues are also used as Real Madrid nicknames.
5. Real Madrid is the first Spanish club to use numbers on their players’ jerseys. This section started on 23rd November 1947. On the same day, Los Blancos played against Atletico Madrid in Wanda Metropolitano.
6. Despite being a Madrid-based club, Catalan were the first two official presidents of Real. Juan Pedros from 1902 to 1904 and his brother Carles Pedros from 1904 to 1908 managed the club as president.
Read More: €100 Million+ Transfers: How they have fared
7. With more than 90 titles in their bag, Real Madrid became the first champions three years after the club was founded. They beat Athletic Bilbao in the final of the Spanish Cup.
8. Lionel Messi’s teammate Angel Di Maria is the first goalscorer in Real Madrid’s red jersey. He scored that goal in the 2011-12 season.
9. Real Madrid’s biggest win came 11-1, against Barcelona. The biggest loss was against Espanyol, 8-1.
10. Martin Odegaard is the youngest player to play for Real Madrid’s senior team. He made his debut against Getafe in 2015 at the age of 18 years and 156 days.