The fifth seed Casper Ruud of Norway will face Denis Shapovalov of Canada in the 2022 ATP Rome Open quarterfinals on Friday, May 13. Get the Casper Ruud vs. Shapovalov live streaming options, as well as the match’s preview, head to head, prediction, and odds tips, right here.
Ruud vs Shapovalov Match Details
- Tournament: Italian Open 2022
- Match: Ruud vs Shapovalov
- Time: 9 am ET on Friday, May 13
- Round: Quarter Final
- Venue: Center Court, Rome, Italy
- Surface: Clay
- Prize Money: €5,415,410.
- Live telecast: USA – Tennis Channel, Sling TV | UK – Amazon Prime Video.
The World No. 16 was outplayed by the 21-time Grand Slam winner in the first set, but he recovered well in the second before dominating the third set, despite dropping service in the opening game, to defeat Nadal for the second time in his career. Shapovalov, who defeated Nadal in Montreal in 2017, required two hours and 38 minutes to defeat him 1-6, 7-5, 6-2.
The 23-year-old has impressed this week at the Italian Open after flashes of returning form at the Madrid Open last week, and he should be fully dialed into the game now after defeating the pre-tournament favorite, who was handicapped by an injury. Shapovalov reached the Italian Open semi-finals in 2018 before losing in three sets to eventual runner-up Diego Schwartzman.
Casper Ruud, world number seven, made an incredible beginning to the year 2022 by capturing the Argentina Open and then reaching his first-ever Master’s 1000 final at the Miami Open. Since then, his record has been average, with no progress beyond the Round of 16 in either the Monte Carlo Masters or the Madrid Open. Ruud defeated B. van de Zandschulp in the Round of 16 and A. Molcan in the Round of 32, accordingly. Last season on clay, Ruud won three championships in 3 weeks at the Bastad Open, Gstaad Open, and Kitzbuhel Open.
When is Ruud vs Shapovalov?
- Date: Friday, May 13, 2022
- Time: 9 am ET
Location of Ruud vs Shapovalov:
- Venue: Centre Court, Grand Stand Arena in Rome, Italy
- Capacity: 8000
The Ruud vs Shapovalov match will occur at the center court, Grand Stand Arena, Foro Italico.
Ruud vs Shapovalov head-to-head
They’ve only met once previously, with Ruud defeating Shapovalov in the last year’s Geneva Open final.
- Denis Shapovalov: +160
- Casper Ruud: -200
- Denis Shapovalov: +2.5 (-105)
- Casper Ruud: -2.5 (-125)
- Denis Shapovalov: O 22.5 (-120)
- Casper Ruud: U 22.5 (-110)
*All odds sourced from BetMGM
How to watch Ruud vs Shapovalov?
- USA: In the United States, the match Ruud vs Shapovalov will be aired on Tennis Channel and Sling TV.
- UK: UK fans can enjoy the match via Amazon Prime Video.
- Canada: In Canada, the action is available on DAZN, TSN, and Rogers Sportsnet.
- Australia: All of the action of Ruud vs Shapovalov will be broadcast live on beIN Sports in Australia.
- Italy: The match between Ruud and Shapovalov will be broadcast live on Sky Italia by the host country.
Ruud vs Shapovalov Prediction:
Shapovalov will be confident after defeating the finest clay-court player in the world, Rafael Nadal, in the previous round, but he’ll have to be at his utmost to overcome Ruud in the quarters since Ruud has been in excellent form.
This will be an exciting quarter-final match between Denis Shapovalov, who is coming off one of the best seasons of his career, and clay specialist Casper Ruud, whose full powers appear to be back. Ruud won their only previous match in straight sets in the final of the Geneva Open last season on clay, but Shapovalov has a greater ceiling and is capable of blowing opponents away when his booming serve and shot attempt all come together. Given their recent meeting, selecting Ruud to win at least one set seemed to be the prudent decision here. So far this week, two of Shapovalov’s 3 games have gone the distance.
Prediction: Ruud will win in 3 straight sets.