World Chess Championship 2023: Preview, Schedule, TV, and Live Stream

The battle for FIDE’s international title has begun once again as the 2023 World Chess Championship is underway from April 7 in Astana. Read the article for all the latest schedule and live stream information on the ongoing World Chess Championship.


World Chess Championship is a multi-round chess match to determine the next world chess champion. It is a 14-game match held between the previous year’s champion and the current Candidates Tournament winner.

Currently, the latest iteration of this exciting game is being held in Astana, Kazakhstan. Ian Nepomniachtchi qualified for the game by winning the Candidates Tournament 2022. However, the defending champion, Magnus Carlsen has stepped down from defending his title.

As a result, the runner-up at the Candidates Tournament 2022, Ding Liren has qualified to participate as the winner’s opponent. This is the first time for FIDE to advance a runner-up, due to Carlsen’s unique decision this year.

A €2 million prize is at stake with the winner getting 60% of the amount. While the runner-up is set to take the rest home. The game will be decided if either player scores seven-and-half or more points.

However, after 14 games if the match is still tied a tiebreak match will ensue. The winner of the tiebreak will receive 55% of the reward money. Whereas the other 45% will go to the runner-up.

World Chess Championship 2023 Schedule:

  • Date: Sunday, April 9, 2023
  • Time: 05:00 a.m. ET

The latest edition of the World Chess Championship kicked off with an opening ceremony on Friday, April 7, 2023. The ceremony started at 09:30 a.m. in the Kazakhstani Hotel of St. Regis.

However, the actual competition started two days later on Sunday, April 09, 2023, at 05:00 a.m. ET. The following games are also scheduled to start at the same time. Here is a schedule chart for the expected 14 rounds –

Date Round Time (ET)
Friday, April 7, 2023 Opening Ceremony 09:30 a.m.
Sunday, April 9, 2023 Game 1 05:00 a.m.
Monday, April 10, 2023 Game 2
Wednesday, April 12, 2023 Game 3
Thursday, April 13, 2023 Game 4
Saturday, April 15, 2023 Game 5
Sunday, April 16, 2023 Game 6
Tuesday, April 18, 2023 Game 7
Thursday, April 20, 2023 Game 8
Friday, April 21, 2023 Game 9
Sunday, April 23, 2023 Game 10
Monday, April 24, 2023 Game 11
Wednesday, April 26, 2023 Game 12
Thursday, April 27, 2023 Game 13
Saturday, April 29, 2023 Game 14
Sunday, April 30, 2023 Tie-Break (if necessary) / Closing Ceremony
Monday, May 1, 2023 Closing Ceremony (if tie-break happens) 09:30 a.m.

How to watch the event on TV?

Like all major chess events, FIDE has no official tv partner for the World Chess Championship 2023. As a result, none of the games from this 14-round match will be available to watch on tv anywhere.

How to Live Stream World Chess Championship 2023?

  • FIDE Chess YouTube

The event will be available on FIDE’s official YouTube channel titled, FIDE Chess. There, fans can watch all fourteen matches between the current Candidates Championship winner and runner-up from anywhere for free, without any additional hassle.

Read Also: World Chess Championship 2023: Purse and Prize Money Breakdown

Rocket Mortgage Classic 2023: Schedule, TV, Live Stream, Course, and Tee Times

Detroit’s famous PGA Tour event is back for the ongoing season. Read all about the upcoming Rocket Mortgage Classic 2023 schedule, live stream, and...

How to watch Eastbourne International 2023 Live Stream?

The latest professional tennis event of both ATP and WTA is currently getting underway in the United Kingdom. Here you can find the best...

How to watch Tour de France 2023 Live Stream?

UCI’s famous month-long annual cycling event is finally knocking at the door. Cycling fans worldwide are excitedly awaiting the event to start this Saturday...


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here Protection Status